Thursday, November 18, 2004

Study Session

Well I managed to survive Wednesday, and it actually felt like a good day. I was exhausted when all was said and done, but I felt like I actually accomplished some stuff. I learned some new things at work, made a tiny bit of progress towards some of the projects on my list, actually was able to follow the ODE lecture in the morning, and had a study group. Well, maybe we should call it more of a tutoring lesson for me, the purpose was supposed to be a study group.

I have forgotten how nice it is to work on an assignment in a group, especially if there is someone around who understands the material. On Tuesday night, I sent out an email to some of my Discrete Math classmates inviting them to have a study group last night. One of the guys was willing to do it, and I am so very grateful. We worked on the assignment last night from seven to ten in the evening. I thought that I had understood the information presented in class, but I was totally wrong. Thanks to this friend, I can actually say that I understand what is going on in that class right now. To make a long story short, I am really grateful to this classmate for taking time out of his busy schedule to help me better understand the concepts presented in class.

Had I been more on top of things, I think that it would have been wise to start a study group at the very beginning of the semester rather than waiting until there were only three weeks remaining. None the less, I will make use of it while I can. One of the greatest things about a study group is that the participants are all in the class together, so everyone knows what is being discussed. We all experienced the lecture, and we should all have some of the basic knowledge. The other thing that is nice about study groups is that you don’t have to pay for them, like you do with tutoring sessions.

The long and short of today’s entry is that I am grateful for smart kind people who are willing to help their classmates.

There is also a story to tell about the end of the study session, when we couldn’t figure out the answer to the last problem. It was 9:30ish so we decided to try our luck at finding the TA in his office. We sat there and watched him scribble on paper for the next 30 minutes to solve a “simple” problem. It didn’t help. I couldn’t reproduce what was written on those pages last night had my life depended on it. Figuring out that problem will be the challenge for the day. Maybe some other time, I shall have to write about this TA’s office. I am learning that the office of an academic can tell you volumes about him or her.

No comments: